Monday, July 16, 2007

Novelty Yarn, Nonsensical Knitting, More Ravelry, and a sign off for now.

Did I just say novelty yarn? Uhhh huh. Shocking, I know. It's possible that all the studying has killed my creative brain cells in favor of understanding the Rule Against Perpetuity.

In fairness, the crazy lady at the LYS tried to talk me into buying this absolutely horrid furry yarn, too (I must have had "gullible" written on my forehead or something. she described the yarn as "misunderstood". it looked like a dead animal when you knit it up. That's not misunderstood, honey, that's just awful). I had the sense to realize that there was a reason that it was in the $2 clearance bin and that $2 is not a good deal for ugly dead-animal-like yarn. So, this is evidence of having retained some of my sanity.

And so, I present my novelty yarn scarf:


see, that's not so bad, right? I rather like it; i'm standing up in defense of this particular novelty yarn. Plus, on US size 15s in garter I knit half a scarf in like an hour during my study break. besides, this is an $8 scarf, and you can't beat that.
In case anyone cares, the yarn is called FFF Polar.

Now, the completely nonsensical knitting:


hello, baby things! Nevermind that I know zero babies. These are the mittens and beanie hat from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms, knit with Knit Picks Merino Style.

It's far too soon for my biological clock to be ticking, so I'm not sure what's up with this sudden urge to knit baby stuff. I guess just because it's small and quick to knit and gives me something to post on ravelry even though I don't have much time to knit these days.

It's really okay, though. Next summer, everyone I know is getting married. That means that by my calculations, in approximately 4 years, everyone I know (at the exact same moment, no doubt) will decide to start popping out babies. So, really, I'm just getting a head start on the gifts, here. Bring on the onslaught of babies, friends, I am sooo ready for you!


Okay, Ravelry has changed my knitting world. Seriously. It's freaking amazing. To me, the most useful thing is the ability to see what other people have done with a particular yarn or a particular pattern. I have a couple of yarns which have been just hanging out in my stash for seemingly forever, without any hope of a pattern. I type them into Ravelry and *poof* - project ideas abound! Similarly, there are patterns that I know I want to knit, but I'm not sure about one aspect (::cough:: forecast:: bobbles:: cough::) or want to substitute yarn and am not sure what would work, or whatever. Ravelry to the rescue!

Also, having just moved to Pittsburgh, the ability to find knitters here is so amazingly helpful. I had just finally started to get into the DC knitting scene when I moved away (hi Pia!) and so starting over again is not that awesome. Ravelry is definitely great in that regard.
And, crap, knitters are just so freakin' awesome; it totally rocks my world.



Now, sadly, I must sign off. The bar exam looms in one week, and I promised myself that I would sprint to the finish. That means no more blogging until after the whole dreadful affair is over. Wish me luck!! Or perhaps wish me knowledge of property law ;-)

4 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Believe me, the lure of baby knits has nothing to do with actually knowing any babies or potential recipients, the stuff is fun to knit because it's fast and cute!!

I agree that being able to look up patterns, possible yarns and mods is the most appealing aspect of Ravelry, although recently I've been sucked into the forums....aaack!!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I like the look of that novelty yarn. It makes a garter stitch scarf look *more*.

Good luck on the bar exam! You'll be so ready for it by the first morning, you'll be all "Bring it, suckas!" I promise. Also, just remember that one portion (either the morning or the afternoon, it's random) of the MBE is always more difficult than the other, so if you have a rough morning and hear people at lunch talking about how "easy" it was, just know that the afternoon is going to kick their behinds and you'll be sailing along.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Faith said...

I am amazed at the zanyness of this post. Novelty yarn and knits for invisible babies? It's even weirder that they're all so cute! So precious! So beautiful! I'm bewildered.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger sophanne said...

I know i must have found a great blog if three of my favorite bloggers are leaving comments.

Good luck on the bar- welcome to pgh. I'm 35 miles south in Waynesburg-wondering which LYS you went to. Given your experience, my guess is one in Bridgeville. I would strongly suggest a visit to the LYS in Canonsburg if it's close enough. Very down to earth with a sit and knit on Tuesday evenings and Wednesdays at lunchtime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home