Friday, February 06, 2009

So Starts My Love Affair With Colorwork


Isn't she beautiful?

Pattern: Selbu Modern
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock, in colorway names that I have forgotten, purchased at Natural Stitches
Needles: US size 3

I should have gone up 1 or 2 more needle sizes because she's smaller than I would have liked. You can see that the colorwork is slightly distorted because it is stretched so much to block. I loved knitting it, though, and was actually impressed at how even my stitching is for a first-timer. The "guts" -- which I forgot to photograph -- actually look quite neat, too.

I love the kettle dyed Malabrigo for this project. The orange is nearly-solid, while the purple has a good deal of shade variation, which you can see in the "flash" photograph below.


She's pictured here during the blocking process (on a plate). It was so small that for a minute I thought it wasn't even going to stretch over the plate. Thankfully, with a lot of effort, I squeezed her on.
If I'm feeling brave later, I'll take some pictures of it on. I can't decide if it looks completely ridiculous or not. It's too short to cover my ears, though, so it definitely is not a below-freezing kind of hat.

This was my first time using Malabrigo sock, as well, at it lived up to all of my expectations. It really is as beautiful as the worsted weight Malabrigo. The twist is relatively tight and the yarn feels squishy. It is a pleasure to work with, and I see many projects in my future. Well done, Tobias!

5 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger Charissa said...

It's beautiful! I love it!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger pia said...

It's amazing! Love it!!!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous! Now I think I might have to use the two skeins of Malabrigo Sock in my stash to make my own ...

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger KeanaLee said...

It's so beautiful!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love your Selbu, it's such a great pattern:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home