Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Just Right Jaywalkers (worth the wait?)

What's that you say? I'm supposed to both knit and blog? What do you think this is? I knitblog or something? Bah! Foolish readers!

In all seriousness, I had a long no-knit streak there for a couple months due to some high stress 80+ billable hour weeks at work which barely allowed me time to sleep, let alone time to do the finer things in life (like laundry or that pesky surgery I'm supposed to have). Unfortunately, while knitting was precisely the type of activity that I needed to be doing to keep myself sane, there was just no time. Such is the life of a first year BigLaw associate (particularly one who is staffed on a high profile criminal defense case that is at trial).

However, things have slowed (thanks to a sanity-saving grant of a stay pending appeal from the circuit court) back to a tolerable pace now, and I've been doing all that I can to get my life back on track. That includes getting back to knitting.

These are my "Just Right Jaywalkers":


They are "just right" by serious trial-and-error. Still burned from my first "way too tight" jaywalker experience, for my second attempt, I used much fatter yarn (sKnitches BeBop Sock, in the Plum Pudding colorway), size 2 needles, and the size large pattern. Predictably, this resulted in a hilariously big sock. Happily, I came to this realization quite quickly, and frogged well before it became a painful yarn-goes-into-timeout kind of experience. (See that? I can be taught!)

Attempt three was finally just right, if needlessly complex. I'm using size 2.75mm on the chevron parts, and 2.25mm on the stockinette and heel, and using the small 76 st pattern.

I love the yarn. I bought it directly from sknitches.com, but the Loopy Ewe has sKnitches listed as being in the next sneek-up, if you're lucky enough to grab some before it's gone.

TD, on the other hand, thinks that these are the ugliest things ever, describing them as looking like "little kid puke." Luckily, he doesn't have to wear them. But -- is he right? (Say it ain't so!) Has my good color sense failed me?

Tune in next time to find out how to tell if your significant other's father likes you (hint: wooly goodness), and see whether I can manage to actually finish a PAIR of socks before casting on for another single (I wouldn't hold your breath, if I were you).

5 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Jody said...

Oh yeah, he's crazy. There aren't bits of corn or green beans in those socks, at least that I can see. Hope things stay manageable for at least a little bit longer!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Buster said...

I don't know what you'd have to feed little kids to get those colors in puke. Gummy bears and sour patch kids, maybe.

I think the socks are pretty and I'm glad you got the pattern to fit you. After a couple of serious goof-ups, I gave up on that pattern. Your socks are lovely enough, though, that I might try again.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger pia said...

I like the jays!
So, we're driving from DC to Detroit (ugh, I know..)in a couple of weeks. Does that route take me through Pittsburgh?
Also, When I'm done with/the socks, I'll write a full review. I'm a tad concerned too, but its SO soft. That said, its also splitty.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yay for getting the Jaywalkers right! I am slogging away on a pair myself...

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Lupie said...

My daughter is making me a pair of these. She finished one yesterday and I fell in love when I put it on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home