Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Change is A' Comin' (also: I like knitting socks)

If you don't care about my sock adventures, skip to the bottom for the Big Change teeser.

I managed to turn the heel, and have been proceeding without much fuss through the foot. There was a moment of temporary panic when a dpn came sliding out of my bag (and obviously off of the live stitches), but a calm closing of my office door, a deep breach, and quick remedial action (and luck that there were no yos involved) fixed that slight misstep.

I've also managed to break 2 bamboo dpns. I'm using my US #1s, which are metal Susan Bates cheepies, but I like them for their sturdiness and slickness. However, Monkeys are meant to be knit on 5 needles, and I've only got 4 metal ones. Since I had a bamboo set, it seemed silly to buy more metal ones (and my gauge isn't different enough to matter when it's just one needle), so I've been using 4 metal needles and one bamboo needle.

The first one broke when I was trying the sock on pre-heel turn. They are SNUG (probably slightly too snug). While they fit well on the leg and foot (measurements that I took and felt good about when deciding to go down to a size 1 for this pattern), they are very challenging to get on over the heel. I'm hoping that this will all come out in the wash (literally), but trying it on with a bamboo dpn still attached snapped that dpn right in half.

The second dpn broke right in my hand as I was knitting. I am obviously hard on needles, and after I break the other 3 bamboo size 1s, I suppose I will have to break down and shell out the couple bucks for a second set of metal size 1s (gasp! a couple of dollars! yes, I realize this is positively s-t-u-p-i-d given how much I spend on yarn without batting an eye, not to mention those lantern moon circs I love so much cost)



Anyway, it turns out that I like knitting socks. I am the queen of being late to bandwagons (see: Clapotis, Spring 2007), so please just hush up and let me have my moment, here.



In a moment of stress and weekness today at work, I made my second purchase from TLE - yes, more sock yarn. I also bought a sock blocker, which seemed like a good thing to have (and also scored me free shipping).

I bought:

And if you think that wasn't insane enough, I also ordered this. Because obviously having knit 3/4 of a sock qualifies me for that kind of insanity? Or maybe I just don't want to be late to a bandwagon for once?? I can't help it, I dig those leaves!

Also, a teeser: There is a Big Change in the works at Tightly Wound, Loosely Knit blogdom. There shall be much fanfare, celebration, and a Big Yarn Giveaway Contest* to go along with it. Get excited. Tell your friends. But don't hold your breath, the unveiling is next week. **

*Big Yarn Giveaway Contest is still in the conceptual stage. I'd appreciate some input! What knitting related thing do you reallyreallyreally want? Anything! A book, yarn, gadget, pattern, gift certificate? What? Pretend that the sky is the limit (it's not. I've still gotta pay rent and student loans, yo. But having never done a giveaway, and having reason to celebrate means the limit is somewhat closer to the sky than usual)... So seriously. Whatdayawant?

**Tightly Wound is not responsible for any passing out prior to Big Change unveiling

6 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Buster said...

Congrats on turning your first heel! I have the same problem with getting socks over my heels and have switched to short-row heels worked on more than half the stitches. Somehow this makes it work. The physics baffle me, though.

I also shatter bamboo needles. Something about my stress level, perhaps.

Regarding the one knitting thing I covet: sock blockers. I will shell out plenty of money on yarn but am too cheap (stupid) to buy sock blockers.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Jody said...

I LOVE the wine sock kits! Those are great. Now I'm going to have to go make another stash enhancement purchse ... Thanks, Janet! ;)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger evergreenknits said...

Hmmm, if you want some ideas for how to run a contest, you could check out the past contests on WiKnit. People have gotten pretty creative with some of them, but the plain vanilla "leave a comment and I'll draw a name" always get a lot of participation too!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I always had trouble trying on the sock while still on the needles when I was working with dpns because the fabric can't curve to fit your foot. So you might still be alright in terms of fit.

Stuff I covet? Pretty much all of it. ;-)

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Congrats on the purchases...unlike you I have recently decided that I hate socks with a passion!!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger knittingpanda said...

I just started reading your blog today and I love it. I also have a suggestion for DPN's since you keep breaking the Bamboo ones. I had the same problem but I loved that they weren't as slippery as the metal ones. I bought the Harmony Wood DPN sock set from knitpicks.com and I love them they are not as slippery as the metal ones but they are much sturdier than the bamboo DPN's in the small sizes plus I got all the socks sized needles for like 30 bucks and each size has six needles in case you lose one. They also sell them in individual size sets if you don't want to invest in all the sock sizes at once.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home