Friday, June 27, 2008

SSS SOS

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't finished anything in months. I get to the 50% mark if it's socks, and then the project disappears off the radar.

I'll admit that I have a bad case of SSS. I'll tell ya what the problem is: I have too many beautiful sock yarns that I'm desperate to use. My knitting fantasies are practically endless.

Ooooh, I wonder how this Socks that Rock will knit up in the ribbed pattern? What's the buzz with Numma Numma? That J. Knits would make great Embossed Leaves! This colorway of All Things Heather is just begging to be on the needles! This Dream In Color Smooshy will look awesome as Pomatamus! Oh my god, could this Duet colorway be any more fabulous?

It's not all bad being constantly inspired by sock yarns. However, like many who have come before me, the enchantment seems to end with the finishing of the first sock. By then, I already know how the sKnitches looks in the Jaywalker pattern. I know that the Socks that Rock will stripe at this gauge, rather than varigate. I've already tried a short row heel or a star toe. The process knitter in me is satisfied.

However, the product knitter in me would like to eventually end up with some pairs of socks (thus far in my very short sock-knitting life: only my lorna's laces monkeys have mates). These three are still waiting:




Above: Plain Jain Stockinette socks in Online. The mate for this one is on the needles, and I've just turned the heel, so there is hope for a pair soon-ish.





Above: Ringwood Pattern Socks in Regia. I knit these on US size 0s, and they are awesome... but it took seemingly forever, which does not make me particularly excited to start the second one




Above: Jaywalker in sKnitches Bebop Sock. Love 'em, and have no idea why I'm not feeling particularly interested in making the second one.



I think it's clear that I ought to be working on the socks above. Instead:

Madder Ribbed Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks (with my first short row heels) in Socks that Rock Lightweight, Pebble Beach. Okay, okay, I admit: I get the buzz about STR. The base yarn is pretty amazing. I was (very) worried about pooling, but while I would have perferred a more varigated look, the striping happening here is pleasant enough.

Also, I am all-but finished with my first EZ project:

Elizabeth Zimmerman is brilliant, and that's all I have to say about this. I did the I-cord bind-off for the first time, and am pleased with the result. Now, if I can just work up the courage to seem the thing.

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger KeanaLee said...

Jsut think if you would finish the other ones - all those socks that you would have!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know the feeling. I'm stockpiling yarn way faster than I can use it, but it just calls to me!

Besides, you can always just wear mismatched socks. :)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger scissorbill said...

Did you finish them yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home