Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Curse

During my past few trips north, I spent quite a bit of time with an old friend. After seeing my knitting, he asked that I knit him a scarf. I basically never say no to these requests, I like knitting for other people. So after getting back to the Florida heat, I dug out some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino (my favorite yarn for knitting for boys) from the stash and got to knitting. I managed to get the whole way through the scarf before having second thoughts.

Men's Cashmere scarf from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky colorway 17032, charcoal

I'm not usually a superstitious person, but for some reason I can't manage to make myself send this scarf. I'll admit, this is far from being a sweater for a boyfriend, but just how far does the curse extend? Perhaps it's better to not knit for a potential new boy, some of you may remember the entralec scarf disaster of my sister's past (if not I suggest catching yourself up here). Although in my defense this does scarf did not take weeks of 8 hour knitting marathon days, nor did it have a hundred ends to weave in, I fear I may have actually learned nothing from my sister. We'll see if this thing actually gets sent or if it just sits in my apartment gathering dust.

In other news, I finished my friend Jedi's (her real name, no joke) hat. She had been asking for a hat for awhile, but I had some trouble deciding on a pattern that wouldn't be ludicrous for Florida. I decided on the ZigZag beanie from the Fall 2008 Interweave Knits. I sort of love the way it turned out, and may eventually make one of these for myself. The mohair is just light enough to be feasible for be wearing on the "cold" days in Florida.

GGH Soft Kid colorway 63, light blue

Up next: hats and scarves for myself, not just other people. In about a month, I'll have more free time than I've ever wanted, so perhaps there are some sweaters in my future (I just won't have any money to buy yarn).

6 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Emilee said...

It'll be fine! I knit my husband a hat and mittens when we were still just dating.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh... when the blog was just Janet's I would get sucked in and feel the need to read all of them... even worse now that it is two of you! Oh, and I get really jealous that all of your knitting is so good. :-( Can we all play for a weekend and you two good knitters can teach one kinda crappy knitter some good tricks?!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I know why you don't want to send it, it's because it's lovely. KEEP IT!!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Hello, gorgeous scarf!!!

You know, it's funny: the whole scarf disaster thing (from TWO years ago) suddenly came back to life today. For real. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry!

Also -- I knit an entire pair of socks that have not been posted on this blog. BAD BLOGGER!! I vow to get back with the program :-)

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Lupie said...

Great blog!
I found your blog on the brooklyntweed group and thought you maybe interested in a group I started on Ravelry. I will send you an invite.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Janet,

I hope you won't find this odd: I was Googling around for the DB yarn you used in that lovely scarf, and happened upon your blog post . . . I'm finishing up a big sweater in DB Cashmerino Chunky color 17032, dye lot 196, and am 1-2 balls short -- if you might happen to have some you'd be willing to sell or trade, I'd be thrilled!

Many thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home