Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I finally finished the triangular part of my shawl from Folk Shawls and my lace knitting class. I'm working up the gumption to pick up the stitches for the edging...







I also think that entrelac is going to save the blue and peach yarn... hard to say for sure since I'm only a row or so into it, but I feel optimistic :-) It is kind of fun and stripey, but not as boring as knitting something straight-up stockinette.




In other news, I cast on for a super-secret project. Knitters might recognize it, but I won't link to the pattern since the recipient is an occasional reader of this blog (I think). Anyway, I love love love the yarn, but am a bit perplexed with the gauge. I'm not a particularly tight or loose knitter. I often need to adjust by one needle size to get gauge, but usually nothing drastic. By all rights, this yarn should have been an exact sustitute for the yarn used in the pattern (in weight, yardage, and fiber content). Needles called for by pattern: US size 7. Needles I have to use to get gauge: US size 10.5! Wow, I'm glad I swatched!






This past weekend, I drove up to PA and listened to the stash & burn podcasts on my way (thanks, Pia, for introducing me to them!) They motivated me to resolve to stop buying yarn at least until Maryland Sheep & Wool.

And then the very next morning I got an email about a HUGE sale at the Knit Happens online store - everything was 55% off! Take a moment to let the gravity of that statement set in. FIFTY-FIVE PERCENT OFF EVERYTHING. Geezus, that's a good deal. We're talking about Cascade 220 for like $3. Cashmerino for less than $4.
So, um, my resolve faded, and then completely disappeared as I frantically put a boatload of yarn in my shopping basket (least it be grabbed up by others while I was deciding)... and then I just bought the whole damn lot of it.
So, apparently while the rest of you are knitting from your stashes, I'm doing my damndest to keep the LYSs and online retailers in business....

3 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok, 55% off? That would be criminal to not partakke. It'd be like LOSING money!;) (Yes, I'm an enabler, it's what I do...)

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger KeanaLee said...

OH I am coming do DC this Friday, how do I get to knit happens!

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Faith said...

Janet, you're killing me here! I need to get off my "i didn't buy yarn for no reason the other day" high horse and just own it. Damn these online yarn store sales!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home