Sunday, March 18, 2007

Saint Patricks Day means two things: Guiness and the Anniversary Sale at Knit Happens. I celebrated fully with Guiness yesterday, and I stopped by the sale this morning (okay, okay... so by "morning" i mean 1pm). I bought... well, more than I planned, as usual.


My most random purchase, by far, was this handpainted merino. It is a muted orange and blue, which those who know me will understand is a color combo that is close to my heart. In the skein, it's lovely. I liked it so much that i cast on immediately on the metro ride home for a swatch. In stockinette, the yarn was practically self-striping.

I decided to try it in a pattern from Scarf Style, using a pattern made for painted yarn called "Misty Garden" by Jo Sharp. It is lovely yarn, and a lovely pattern. However, it is clear that the two do not combine to make a lovely scarf.

Nevermind the pooling on each side of the scarf - I realize I could probably solve this issue if I alternated skeins. What I find more troublesome is that the middle portion (which is pooling-free) is... well, it's the ugliest thing I have ever knit in my life.

Now I remember why I never buy painted yarn. It looks SO lovely, but is such a challenge to make not look like crap in a knitted object. A little color variation is different - a few shades of blue that flow together is less complicated to deal with; but orange and blue? ugh. in the end, i don't want a scarf that looks like puke (come on, i know you were thinking it too).



4 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok, hilarious post....I have been having pooling issues myself with some Socks that Rock and am very close to swearing off variegated for awhile!!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger KeanaLee said...

Janet, e-mail me at KeanaLee@msn.com & I can give you the Pittsburgh scoop. You will like it here, but I am sure you are familiar if your folks are from Ligonier. Love your pics.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger pia said...

I feel your pain. I just had that happen with some handpainted and yet bought some more. Pooling in weird spots is often okay on your feet but, scarves...I've had some disasters!
~pia

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Well, I really do think that a different pattern could make all the difference here, of course. Something not lacy, and something where you can play with the number of stitches. Don't give up on it! It really is lovely yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home