Saturday, April 07, 2007

New Boy v. Knitter: the trials and tribulations of dating and understanding your knitter

particularly funny: what it means to "watch a movie"

i remember in college when i first learned exactly what a guy really meant when he asked me if i wanted to watch a movie. i was completely floored (shocked, appalled, etc... oh, to be that innocent again...) by the knowledge that while a movie generally was playing in the background, the intent to watch was almost completely absent.

ask a knitter if she (or he) wants to watch a movie and they, too, usually have only a small interest in the actual "watching" (depending, of course, on how talented the knitter is or how simple the project is - heck, even i can look up from stockinette or garter).

now, pair these two interpretations of the very same phrase...
imagine being the new boy and settling in for the movie, only to find two sharp pointy sticks, clicking away menacingly, between you and the girl who is supposed to be resting her head on your shoulder.
this has to be the epitome of what i'll dub "knitting culture shock".



For starters, my New Boy actually wanted to watch the movie, so I don't want to go lumping him in with all the ridiculous college boys from my past. More importantly, he took the whole knitting thing pretty much in stride (although I've been slowly hinting at this whole "I'm always going to love yarn at least as much as I love any man" thing for awhile so he might have seen it coming). He only warned me that I was going to miss the physical comedic genius if I didn't look up at the screen.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So true! I thought the "lets watch a movie" thing would go away once I graduated college, but nope, they're still in it for the frisky business. Looks like you lucked out!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger pia said...

I just laughed out loud. So true. I still get in trouble for pulling out the sticks when "watching a movie" and my boy and I have been together for about a year!
We'll talk this week about next weekend's meet up!
~Pia

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ha! So true! About two weeks ago, my boyfriend and I sat down to watch a movie, and for the first time in approximately eight months, I actually WATCHED the movie. No knitting involved at all! (My hands felt naked, though.)

Glad to see he understood the whole knittin' thang.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home